Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Neighbors Cruelty to a Certain Runner

Hi Ya'll! Happy Tuesday to you and many happy returns of the day. Today is a good day. A very good day. I ran three long miles.

I am all pumped up now and ready for bed. HA!

No. Really though. Running has caused my insomnia to disappear completely this past month. I sleep like a rock now. Literally. A few nights I do happen to get up to use the restroom (I am drinking TONS of water lately too) but for the most part I am sleeping straight through the night. Every. Single. Night. It's fantastic!

I have yet to see a major increase in my energy levels though. Still waiting on that health benefit to kick in. But at least I am getting better sleep. It's a start.

I don't know if you know this or not, but we don't live in the greatest neighborhood. It's not the worst...definitely not the "hood", (that would be up the street.) but it sure makes for some interesting times running,

For the most part people are pretty nice. I've had a teenage girl shout, "You Go Girl!" at me from where she was sitting on her front stoop while I ran past. Nothing like some postive encouragement to motivate me to pick up the pace a little bit. Just a little bit. (Slowed it down again once I rounded the corner.) Another night we (James and I) had two ladies comment, "Wow. You guys are fast! We just saw you when we parked the car and now we are getting out of the car and here you are again!" (Okay...it must have taken them a good five minutes to get out of the car because we are not THAT fast. Seriously.)

We see some pretty interesting people. Most of the time it is just people walking down the the liquor store at the corner. I often see them walking back home with a brown paper sack on my next round. I never say hello though. People walking around at night carrying brown paper sacks with liquor in them scare me just a little bit.

Sometimes though, people are just cruel to runners. Absolutely cruel. I've almost been run over...twice...in one night...by a mini van. (I walked home after the second time in fear for my life.) James had a cup of ice and soda thrown on him while running under a bridge once. And not just any cup either. The super duper Big Gulp variety. (He refuses to run under bridges now. And this happened like 4 years ago. The hurt runs deep.) I've run by the sides of parked cars and looked the drivers dead in the eyes only to have them blow cigarette smoke in my face as I run past the window. This has happened numerous times. Too many to count. THEY MADE EYE CONTACT! You can't tell me that wasn't on purpose. I am going to die of lung cancer now because I took up running. I just know it.

But that is not the cruelest thing I've had happen to me in my neighborhood while running. Not by a long shot. Tonight, I was running along...minding my own business...thinking happy running thoughts (don't ask. I can't really explain. It's sort of like "I am going to enjoy running so much someday" and "boy, wouldn't James be surprised if I came home and told him I ran 5 miles today instead of 3?" and "I can't wait to try that wonderful soup recipe I just pinned on Pinterest this afternoon." Those kind of happy running thoughts.) when I got smacked right in the face.

CINNAMON BUNS!

Yes. The smell of cinnamon buns hit me right dead center in my face. Talk about cruelty!

Who bakes cinnamon buns at 9:30 on Tuesday night in August? (Never mind that this is totally might be something I would do if I hadn't given up sugar for a month.) It's wrong. Just plain wrong? Don't they know I'm running here? How can I continue with the smell of cinnamon buns wafting through my nostrils every time I pass that house?

Well, continue I must. I pushed on. I finished my 3 mile run, no thanks to those cruel neighbors who bake scrumptious delicacies in the middle of the night and now I must have something yummy. My new love is Greek yogurt with peaches. I am out of peaches so I will substitute cherries. It's all good.

And remember my lesson from today. There are two. Never bake yummy treats while people are running in your neighborhood (especially if they have given up sugar for a month) and please, please, please, exercise extreme caution when running (or walking for that matter) under bridges.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

LOL! This was a great read today! Thanks for that! :) Hope you have a great weekend!